It’s cheap to use, it makes you feel full fast, it’s instantly addictive, and it sneaks into many foods that you probably thought were ‘good for you’.
The big offender is High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS) and it just could be one of the missing links to your never-ending search for real weight loss. Here are some fast (fat) facts about this nasty substance.
- HFCS is the main ingredient in most soft drinks
- It raises your triglyceride levels (dangerous fats)
- It sends your LDL levels through the roof (that’s the bad cholesterol)
- Your body turns it to fat even quicker than what it turns sugar to fat
- HFCS is generally consumed as a liquid, which is one reason why it can be converted into fat very quickly
- This also means that it raises blood sugar levels extremely rapidly – which is why it is linked to diabetes
Think it’s not affecting you? Don’t drink much soft drink? You might just want to keep reading before the smugness sets in. You see, HFCS consumption rose 135% from 1977 to 2001 and soft drink sure isn’t the only offender. You might be surprised and more than a little jacked off to learn that HFCS is found in the following ‘foods’ – and they’re not all bad. In theory, that is.
- Fruit juices (look for 100% natural to be safe)
- Many processed foods (be sure to check the labels)
- Many breads, breakfast cereals and other grain products (it makes them look browner when baked)
- Low-fat or low-cal packaged snacks (always read labels)
- Muesli bars and breakfast bars (to give them a chewy texture)
- Yoghurts (including every variety of Yoplait)
- Salad dressings (including ‘light’ and ‘low fat’ salad dressings)
- Many breakfast cereals (including Special K)
- Ice-cream and microwaveable desserts (including many of those labeled as healthy)
- Even products with the healthy heart claims
My Aussie readers don’t have quite as much to fear as those in the US. The truth is that sugar is so abundant here, and therefore so cheap, that many manufacturers don’t need to resort to HFCS. Yet. But before you heave a sigh of relief, here’s something to consider – every negative effect of HFCS that I listed at the start of this post is just as true for the effects of sugar. Moral of the story? What you’ve read today might be new information but it just comes back to one simple rule – if it’s packaged or processed or comes in a can, it’s not good for you and it’s definitely going to up your body fat.
Life is Now. Press Play.
This post was an excerpt from my upcoming book. You’ll have to wait another month or so before it’s released so I thought I’d give you a small taste now. My new book is for you if you’ve been doing ‘all the right things’ and tried just about every diet or gimmick out there, but still haven’t been able to lose the weight that you’d like to. Watch this space …
Don’t forget to leave a comment on this post by clicking on ‘leave a comment’ just below. If you’re reading from RSS or email you’ll have to enter the blog to do this. You can do that by clicking on the title of this piece. ‘Leave a comment’ is at the article end, right under the ’share this’ and ‘other articles you may enjoy’ option.
If you haven’t yet subscribed to this feed, what are you waiting for? Do it now. You can choose either email or RSS by clicking here. If you enjoyed this article please forward to your friends. Thank-you!
Rich Chick Live is coming to Melbourne and London for the first and only time this year, and I have a seat with YOUR name on it!
I’m putting together an absolutely ROCKING 1-day event at a MEGA luxe inner Melbourne (and London!) destination for seriously DRIVEN women entrepreneurs who want to get REVVED BACK UP about their business and life, get PROPELLED back into alignment, get OVER their fears and excuses and what ifs around money and ‘making it’ and learn the EXACT SYSTEMS, TOOLS AND STRATEGIES I used to create a business on track to 7-figures this year!
Rich Chick Live is a HIGH ENERGY event and it is designed EXCLUSIVELY for women who want it all, want it all now, and know they can HAVE it all now but yet for one reason or another are not yet out there TAKING it all now.
If that sounds like you, then check out exactly what I have in store for you!
Enter your name and email below for instant access!