Kat’s Quinoa & Prawn Salad
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped or 2 teaspoons of crushed garlic
- 1/2 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth or water
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- Real salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
- 250 grams of prawns, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 cup asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup fresh or frozen green peas
- 1/2 cup roasted cashew pieces
- 6 green onions, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped parsley
In a medium pot, heat oil over medium heat.
Add garlic and onions and cook for 3 minutes.
Add sun-dried tomatoes and continue to cook for 1 more minute.
Add broth, wine, lemon juice, lemon zest, salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
Stir in quinoa and simmer on low heat, covered, for about 20 minutes, or until quinoa is almost tender.
Arrange prawns on top of quinoa in pot and simmer for 3 minutes.
Add asparagus and peas on top of the shrimp and simmer for 3 more minutes.
Top with cashews, green onions and parsley and season with salt and pepper.
Did you know?
Quinoa is actually not a grain, but a fruit. It is best digested when you soak it before cooking (for at least an hour, just in cold water) then toss the soaked water. After that you can cook it like rice and enjoy either warm or cooled.