Listening to my body
WEEK 17: ‘Listening to my body’
For all that I promote eating a diet high in proteins, good fats, and greens and low in sugars, I also believe it is important never to get caught up in there being ‘only one right way’. I don’t even mean that different people have different needs but even that YOU have different needs from time to time. Avoid fear of foods or getting stuck in a nutritional rut by occasionally doing things differently or stopping to think about what would truly feel good to eat.
Remember also that variety is very important in nutrition, i.e. if you always get all your good fats from nuts, try something different now and then! Experimentation with what works for you is something that must evolve indefinitely. So if you have taste fatigue from eating the same old same old, if what once worked is no longer effective, or if you just occasionally wonder if you really have to be SO rigid about things then stop. Forget the ‘rules’. And just think about this – what food would make you feel good? What are you truly craving? I’m talking about what would make you feel good after the eating of course 🙂
Here’s an example of a ‘listening to my body’ day; you’ll notice it’s a little different from the way I often eat or suggest to eat. Hey, rules are there for a reason! But that reason is to give you an initial awareness of what truly works and doesn’t work, and allow you the ability to tune in to your body’s changing needs, it’s NOT to tie you to a way of eating that you never stop and think about or that you become scared to veer away from.
- 6am: Woman Incredible glutamine, fibber mixed in water
- 6.30am: long black coffee
- 7-8am: Muay Thai class
- 8am: 1 scoop of Vanilla Estrogenomics shaken with water
- 9am: 3 fried eggs, 1/2 a block of haloumi cheese, a few baby tomatoes and 50 grams of leftover steak
- 9.30am: long macchiato
- 10am: weigh training workout, German Body Comp
- 11am: 1/2 a Woman Incredible grass-fed organic protein shake. 1 green apple (yes!), and some blueberries
- 12.30: broccoli, roast pumpkin (!), rocket, tomato, feta and smoked salmon salad. Long black coffee. Delicious!
- 3.30: 1 cup of Greek yoghurt, 1/2 a mango, 2 tablespoons ground flaxseeds and 1 tablespoon of shredded coconut. Soooo good.
- 5pm: the other half block of haloumi, pan fried in coconut oil
- 7pm: out for dinner: saganaki (I know, a bit of a cheese overdose today so I dare say tomorrow will be lower in fat and higher in greens), grilled octopus, braised baby goat, greek salad, mineral water
- 9pm: another serve of my yoghurt and mango mix: small. 1 Yogi mint-lime tea.