Sausages with Parsnip Mash
- 12 large organic gluten-free beef or pork sausages;
- 2 teaspoons crushed garlic
- 2 large parsnips, coarsely chopped;
- 3 teaspoons of organic butter (or ghee)
- 5 tbsp butter or ghee;
- 1 punnet of button mushrooms;
- 3/4 cup coconut milk or full-fat organic cream;
- 2 tablespoons of chopped fresh oregano (or ground if you can’t find fresh)
- A pinch of nutmeg
- Real coloured salt
- Black pepper
Boil the parsnips for about 15 minutes, until soft.
Drain the water, add half the butter, the coconut milk or cream, a pinch of nutmeg and salt and pepper to taste and mash well or mix in a food processor.
Cover the mashed parsnips and set aside.
Over a moderate flame, cook your sausages (in the rest of the butter) for about 15 minutes. Turn them occasionally.
Set the sausages aside and add the mushrooms to the pan. Cook until well browned (about 5 minutes) and add the chopped oregano.
Serve the mashed parsnips covered with the sausages and mushrooms and with a fresh green salad on the side.
Did you know?
Sweet potato is not the only possible substitute for mashed white potato! I make mash more interesting with various mixes of red or white sweet potato, pumpkin, carrot, beetroot, parsnip and even turnip! All great options for a healthy and tasty carb meal!