The X-Factor: Why Some People Effortlessly Stay In Great Shape
You know who I’m talking about, don’t you? There’s surely at least one of them in your inner circle. Or somewhere in your day to day life? On the same bus route? And I’ll bet that a teeny-tiny part of you secretly hates that person. At the very least you can’t deny a smidgen of jealousy. And who could judge you for that? After all, it’s not FAIR, is it? That they get to eat whatever they want and still look amazing. But surely no-one is just that lucky? Surely they’ve got some kind of secret?
I’m going to let you in on something. The truth is that there is a secret. A reason for why they just seem to be genetically blessed while you can barely glance at a piece of bread without bursting out of your skinny jeans.
It’s not a very exciting secret.
But obviously it’s a secret nonetheless (I say obviously, because if it weren’t then everyone would be in great shape). And either way, it definitely works.
Want to know what it is? Before I tell you – there’s a catch. Once you’ve been exposed to this secret you have an absolute obligation to use it in your own life. Because this is IT. The ‘missing link’. The x-factor that everyone out there is desperately seeking. And it would just be plain unfair on those who don’t know about it if you didn’t use your new-found knowledge.
Not to mention foolish. So here goes –
Told you it was kinda boring. But before you roll your eyes in disgust and click away, answer me this. Just how consistent are you in the following areas –
- Consistently exercising 3-5 times per week, even if it’s a consistent 10 minutes 3-5 times per week?
- Consistently eating the way you know you should rather than letting emotions or temptation or poor organisation rob you of ideal nutrition?
- Consistently kick-starting your metabolism with a healthy breakfast despite being tired or in a rush or sleeping through your alarm?
- Consistently drinking enough water even though to do so would mean you’d actually have to make a concerted effort?
- Consistently carrying healthy protein-based snacks with you so that you don’t end up in starvation mode (otherwise known as ‘where-is-the-nearest-vending-machine’ mode)
- Consistently reading about, discussing, researching or at least observing new trends in nutrition, exercise and wellness, and not being afraid to admit something you previously thought was right may not be working
- Consistently surrounding yourself with face-to-face or online influences that challenge you to improve or stay on track with your goals
- Consistently doing what it takes to get adequate rest and recovery and time for yourself
- Consistently bothering to set some goals in the first place and then consistently referring back to them as you track your progress
- Consistently getting off your butt and doing what it takes regardless of whether or not you feel like it
- Consistently seeking help, expert advice, and support if you’re really sure that you’re doing all of the above and yet it’s still not clicking for you
- Consistently refusing to ever, ever give up on something that matters this much to you
There will always be someone ahead of you; someone to challenge you toward further success. It may not be fair, but if you apply consistent effort you can sure as heck be sure that it isn’t your fault. In this or any area of your life. The steps to success are many, but – for the most part – they are simple. You just gotta do it.
Life is Now. Press Play.
What would you add to the above list? Please comment!
If you liked this post please tweet it below. Thankyou!
If you’re a regular reader and haven’t been active in the BodyIncredible community then now is the time – I want your involvement, your feedback, and your questions! So why not make this the day to leave a comment before you go – if you’re reading from RSS or email you’ll have to enter the blog to do this. You can do that by clicking on the title of this piece. ‘Post a comment’ is at the article end, right under the ’share this’ and ‘related posts’ options.
If you haven’t yet subscribed to this feed, what are you waiting for? Do it now. You can choose either email or RSS by clicking here. If you enjoyed this article please forward to your friends. Thank-you!